People who don’t know you love to ask what you do. Here in the Midwest that often is asking what you do to earn a living. With the growing breadth of online tools and toys, more people don’t just ‘do’ their job.
Ordinary folks like you and I not only do programming, or teach grade schoolers, but we blog, make videos, create social media and network. We don’t just network either; we inspire, conspire, and admire; we encourage, uplift and share; we are not passive.
So when I ask my contacts and friends what it is they do, I don’t want to just hear how they bring home the bacon, I want to know all they are in what they do. I want to know that you write and inspire through your blog, to know that you raise funds for cancer by making videos, or that you raise kids in a digital world.
In this spirit, I polled my Twitter pals, and here are the answers they gave. Enjoy.
- I learn, explore, write, communicate, teach, and lead, but I also execute where needed. Mainly in SEM but also in comedy and music
- I solve mysteries and cure illnesses and create works of art–all done with a keyboard.
- I’m a father and database administrator, and I carry a crazy and frustrating idea that I can be a creative type. That’s what I do.
- I’m the editor of a number of specialist property publications, creative writer, lover of tech and cultural studies, and a gamer.
- i’m a geek, get paid to help content get to people who want to see it and spend my pay on red wine & vodka 🙂
- I’m a creator, a collector, a connector, a communicator, a cancer patient & I help others benefit by what I’ve learned
- run my own ad agency/production company while launching Internet video startup
- I write, read, and think about stuff all day long 🙂
- I help people communicate, which usually involves first convincing them to listen. All that in a highly niche, technical, market.
- I read, and read some more, and read some more, and talk.
- Try to connect people, enlighten their day. Watch the kids grow and discover their world. Try to listen and learn. Enjoy life.
- up with dogs, computer, TV, blogging, Twittering, cooking, back to computer, check e-mail, more TV,sleep: my day in 140 characters
Do you know these folks? Any of this sound familiar? Perhaps one of these is you, or very close. Note that on one up there does just one thing. Many have a full life living and doing a variety of things. It’s not a crime to specialize but don’t sell yourself short. Very few of us wear only one hat.
Ask yourself today, and be ready to answer when we ask, what do you do? What do you do?